iPhone-friendly WordPress blog
Friday, July 4th, 2008
ft.com reports: “Google said it had seen 50 times more searches on Apple‘s iPhone than any other mobile handset, adding weight to the group’s confidence at being able to generate significant revenues from the mobile internet.”
After the presentation of iPhone 3G, the new contract price structures for Apple´s iPhone the internet usage by mobile device will increase rapidly. For WordPress bloggers it´s time to start thinking about what their blog looks like on the iPhone´s diminutive browser.
But the iPhone can display any kind of website
For sure. But there is a pretty Plugin which automatically reformats your blog´s content for optimized viewing on Apple´s iPhone and iPod touch. The Plugin detects the device´s User Agent and serves up the content with the special theme only to iPhone and iPod touch visitors, all other browsers or devices will view your WordPress blog with your current theme. Great show!
Why should I use this Plugin
While the iPhone and iPod touch do an amazing job of displaying web pages the way they were designed to be seen, often visitors want quick access to your website’s content. The Plugin displays an optimized version of your blog’s content, formatted perfectly to fit the iPhone/iPod touch’s screen – no zooming in to read the content is necessary.
ContentRobot developed the iWPhone WordPress Plugin and Theme. The Plugin displays a lightweight version of your site optimized for the iPhone’s 480-by-320-pixel screen. The theme sacrifices your design for quick viewing of the content, but there’s nothing to stop you from customizing it; it installs in the /themes folder like any other WordPress theme. Your regular visitors will see your standard design in all it’s glory.
1. Download the iWPhone WordPress Plugin.
2. Extract the “iwphone-wordpress-plugin-and-theme” folder.
3. Locate the file “iwphone.php” inside the “iwphone-wordpress-plugin-and-theme” folder and upload it into your wp-content/plugins/ directory.
4. Locate and upload the entire folder named “iwphone-by-contentrobot” into your wp-content/themes/ directory.
5. Go to your WordPress administration area and click on Plugins and activate the plugin called “iWPhone”. Do NOT make the iWPhone-by-ContentRobot theme the current theme under Presentation.
6. Launch Safari on an iPhone or iPod touch and enter your blog’s URL, and you should now see your content in the iPhone/iPod touch-optimized theme.
Don’t have an iPhone or iPod touch? Don’t let that stop you from making your WordPress blog iPhone-friendly. Neither plugin requires any configuration. You can always see what your site looks like to iVisitors by previewing it in iPhoney (only for Mac OS X).